Monday, December 13, 2010

Our Christmas Lessons

I have decided, since this is our last week of lessons before our Christmas break, to pause from our normal curriculum and do a week of Christmas lessons!  It has taken me all morning to prepare them (that's what I get for last minute planning - ha!)  But I am really excited with what I have come up with!

For the most part we will be very relaxed this week but I still want to make sure we get in some good reading and writing lessons for Seth :-).  So I changed around our sight word schedule a bit so that this week we could focus on words that go with our Christmas theme! So here is what I have come up with.

Today our focus was 'The Polar Express'.  I had the boys watch the movie this morning (so that I could get some planning done!).  We then did a couple of coloring activity sheets that went with the movie.  This afternoon during our reading/writing lessons (while the little ones sleep) we are going to work on learning the words 'boy', 'girl' and 'friend'.  I have also found quite a few Christmas printables dealing with handwriting practice, counting, patterning, etc... we will be going through these through the week.

We are also planning on reading The Polar Express this afternoon as well and talk about how it is alike and different than the movie.

Tomorrow we are going to have a gingerbread day!  We are going to make gingerbread cookies in the morning and then I have some fun Christmas cutting practice pages that I found that the boys can work on (they both LOVE practicing cutting with scissors).

During our afternoon reading/writing lessons we are going to learn the words 'eat', 'ate' and 'make' and continue to work on our other Christmas worksheets!

Wednesday we are going grocery shopping so we will only be doing afternoon school.  We are going to learn the words 'mother' and 'father' on Wednesday and again continue to work on our worksheets!  We will also probably watch a Christmas video Wednesday afternoon as well.

On Thursday we are going to work on finishing making the Christmas gifts from the kids to family members (and of course if we still don't get finished we have next week to finish since we won't be doing school).  In our afternoon reading/writing lessons we are going to learn the words 'give', 'gave', 'get' and 'got' and finish our Christmas worksheets!

Friday morning we have our Christmas party with one of our homeschool groups!  The boys are really excited about that!!  :-)

It is going to be a fun, relaxed week of school - and then we get two weeks of a break from no school! WHOO HOO!!  :-)

I will try to post what pictures I can get during the week.  I realized this morning that we went through our entire insect lessons last week with no pictures!  (but that is not important part, right?!?!)

Here are some of the links where I found printables at:  (I also made a few of my own)

Polar Express Printables
1+1+1=1 blog
Confessions of a Homeschooler Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment