Monday, August 23, 2010

Our First Day of School!

Ok - I want to say upfront that I do not plan on making daily posts about our school days.  I won't have the time or the energy to do so :-).  I do plan on making a weekly wrap up post and then highlight posts as we do some cool stuff and I have time to do so :-)

But I did want to do a first day of school post!!  I had to share how much fun we had on our first day!

We started our day with blueberry pancakes for breakfast!  This is the favorite breakfast around our house so it seemed fitting to start our school year off with our special breakfast!  And what a treat we had that Daddy got to share breakfast with us!  He didn't have to leave the house until late morning today so he was able to enjoy our first day of school breakfast with us!

After that I had my first monkey wrench in my plans.  My dear sweet Alyssa usually sleeps until about 10:00 every morning so I was planning to get through half of our morning session before she woke up...but this morning she decided to wake up at 8:30 (the time I planned on starting school).  It threw me for a bit but I finally recovered! She is going to be the difficult one...trying to figure out what to do with her when I am trying to teach the boys!

I won't go into all the details of the day.  I will cover some of the highlights in my weekly wrap up at the end of the week.  We spent the day making our school ids, our phone number key chains, going over class rules, and then diving into our lessons for creation days 1 and 2.

Here are pictures we took for our school ids - the boys mug shots :-)




(For those who are following this blog that are doing the MFW kindergarten curriculum...we are condensing the 10 days of creation study into 5.  Seth is already pretty familiar with the creation story and Seth also already knows all his letters so I didn't feel we needed to spend a full 10 days on that.)

Today we did go over the alphabet and confirmed that Seth does know all of his letter names and letter sounds!  We watched a video called - Animal ABC's.  It was an educational video that went through the letters of the alphabets as it explored a zoo.  (A big thanks to my Mom for giving me many good educational videos to share with the kids!)


We also had fun today playing games and puzzles.  And the boys were super excited when I gave them their own pair of scissors and actually let them cut paper!  And they did a very good job I must say. Seth was so serious about it!  Aaron was just excited when he actually got the paper to just cut! Oh the little things.



Aaron did a pretty good job keeping up.  He of course doesn't know his alphabet yet but he sure listened today and he can recognize some letters already.  He did really like being included though in the same things that Seth was doing and liked being a "big boy".  He also did pretty good on his potty training today :-)  I really think being a "big boy" in school is going to help him finally "get it"...and being on a good daily schedule should help as well.


I think the boys' highlight of the day was the silly face pizzas I made them.  Their giggles when they saw the pizzas were PRICELESS!!!  Seth shouted "OH BOY - IS THIS WHAT WE ARE HAVING FOR LUNCH EVERY DAY?" I told him not every day but they will probably make an appearance regularly (becuase they were quite easy to prepare...and the boys loved them!  *and they have no idea that I can sneak healthy vegetable purees into the pizza sauce and they will never even know it!*




All in all it was a good day!  I loved the big eyed looks they gave me when I went over how we would be handling conduct and the fact that Daddy would be given a weekly progress report and if they had bad conduct on it they would be in big trouble.  I don't think we will have too many behavior issues :-)

I could go on and on about today but I don't want to bore all of you!  I will mention more about today in the weekly wrap up!

Oh - and update on that meeting we had with the homeschool organization - it went really well!!  We met some really nice people and I am so looking forward with getting involved with this group!  It is definitely going to be a good thing for us! :-)

Ok - I have to go to bed now!  I will talk with all yall later!  And I welcome your comments and any questions you want to ask about our day!

Until next time,

4 comments:

  1. Awesome first day, Kellie! Way to go! You'll get into a pattern and figure out "what to do" with Alyssa. Maybe you can have the boys spend short amount of times playing with her while you work with the other one-on-one? That works around here at times (with my 8 and 9 year olds and the two little girls, age 4). Of course, the littles will be starting MFW K by the end of the month so they'll have that to occupy them, too. And then in October, I'll get the new baby...so we'll see how nuts I am by November! :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you got things off to a great start, Kellie! Our school started last week and it was great. We are learning about the ocean in science, plus raising tadpoles, and will be learning about Egypt in history very soon with lots of hands on activities. With Girl Scouts, co-op, art class and flag football, Jessica will be a busy homeschoolin' girl! ~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great day! You will be surprised what your little girl might pick up and learn along the way! You're an awesome mom and teacher! Looking forward to keeping up with you all throught your blog. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for a great kick off to a new school year!

    ReplyDelete