We have started making our Christmas decorations. Our new tradition of making seasonal decorations to enjoy and add to year after year got off to a great start with our fall decorations! Now it’s time to put those away and start on our Christmas decorations.
We started today with our Christmas wish ornaments. I found the ideas for these here. I instantly fell in love with the idea and knew that we had to do these ourselves!
I did make some changes to the supplies and steps due to what I had here at the house. Here is how we made ours:
- On the Disney site they called for a wooden spool that you paint…which would be very pretty…but I didn’t have any. I did have empty plastic spools that I have saved back for crafts. Since I already had these I didn’t see any need to buy any wooden spools.
- Since I had plastic spools that did not have pretty ends, and I did not want to worry with trying to paint them, I cut out circles from pretty patterned scrapbook paper the size of the end of the spool and attached them with scrapbooking adhesive tape to the end of the spools (oh I punched holes in the middle of the circles before I put them on the spools so that I could thread the ribbon through.
- Then I thread through a piece of ribbon through each spool (I found that wrapping the end of the ribbon around the bottom end of a skinny paintbrush helped to guide it through the spool and come out easily on the other side). Once I got the ribbon threaded I tied the two ends together. I then used the scrapbook tape to attach the ribbon to the spool where it threads through to keep the spool from spinning on the ribbon.
- The site that has the idea stated to cut strips of paper to fit the width of the spool. I found that party crepe paper was the perfect width of the plastic spools that I had!! Yeah – no extra cutting!!
- So for each spool I cut a piece of crepe paper long enough to put their lists. If your child is old enough you can have them write their list with a marker on the crepe paper. Since my kids are too young for that I just had them tell me their list and I wrote it down.
- I then attached the list to the spool with a piece of tape (hint – I left some space at the top of the piece of crepe paper so that I could tape it at the bottom of the spool and as it wrapped around the list actually started at the top of the spool.
- I then got decorative scrapbook circles and attached them to the end of the ribbon (where I tied the knot) and put the kids name on them!
- We hung them on the tree!! I am hoping that we have started a new tradition with this and this will be our first ornaments to put on the tree every year!