Monday, October 26, 2009

Raising Rock Stars – Halloween 1

rockstarbutton

Weekly Theme – Halloween Week 1

Last week and this week are going to be kind of off weeks for us.   We are in the middle of remodeling our kitchen (new cabinets and new flooring) so things are a bit chaotic.  We are not doing any regular school but I am trying to at least get a little bit of Raising Rock Stars lessons in.  We did pretty good last week (which is what this post is a review of) but it is going to be a bit harder this week considering I have no kitchen cabinets or countertops and everything from my kitchen is either in my room or the school room!

But you don’t want to hear about that do you?  Since we are in a bit of chaos I decided to take a break from our God Made Me theme and focus a bit on Halloween and Where Is God When I am Scared?

I will admit Halloween is my least favorite holiday.  I could sit here and say that they shouldn’t even have the holiday and wish it away…but that is not going to make it go away.  The fact that Seth is having a lot of fears right now and is seeing the monsters in his room at night doesn’t help matters. But I have decided the best way to tackle this is to  just take a different approach on it…instead of trying to ignore it, find a way to enjoy it!

So one of our major focus was on the jack-o-lantern.  I LOVED Carissa’s Rock Star post last week on their view of the jack-o-lantern and the poem she had.  We have adopted that view ourselves.  In our house we have Matthew 5:16 Jack-O-Lanterns (you can read the verse below under the Memory Verse heading).  You can now ask Seth when you see a jack-o-lantern what it represents and he will tell you “The Light of Jesus shining through you”.

Our other major focus has been the Veggie Tales episode “Where Is God When I Am Scared?”  Seth has begun to love Veggie Tales and this episode is exactly what he has needed.  We have had many good discussions on monsters and scary stuff and how most of it is not real but most importantly God is bigger than the boogie man and He is watching over Seth.

Memory Verse

Untitled-2

I had Seth concentrate on learning the first part of the verse “Let your light so shine”.  He has grasped it too!  The other day I asked him “why are we calling them Matthew 5:16 Jack-O-Lanterns?”  He said “let your light so shine!”

Books We Read and Videos We Watched

Of course we read the bible. We are concentrating on Matthew 5:16 and Psalm 56:3 (What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee).

Every night before bed we have been reading the book “Where Is God When I Am Scared?”.  We have been making sure in our nightly prayers that we thank God for his creation and thank him for watching over us.

bookimage

We have also been watching the DVD “Where Is God When I Am Scared?”.  It has the story that is in the book along with the story of Daniel and the lion’s den.  We have talked about how much God took care of Daniel and that he will take care of us too.

dvdimage

I want the book “The Pumpkin Patch Parable” but I have not been able to find it yet.  I am going to look at Target tomorrow.  We have talked about the story (I know the story, have read it before) even though we don’t have the book yet.  We talked about the story as we carved our jack-o-lantern.

IMG_6201

Songs We Sang

If you haven’t already guessed our song that we have been singing over and over is “God Is Bigger”.  Here are the lyrics to the chorus.

God is bigger than the boogie man

He’s bigger than Godzilla or the monsters on TV

God is bigger than the boogie man

And he watches out for you and me.

We have also been singing “This Little Light of Mine”.  The boys love for me to have the pumpkin sing it.  I sing it in a real deep voice and change some of the lyrics to things like “hide it behind my icky gooey stuff – NO! I’m gonna let it shine”

Activities We Did

We carved our Matt 5:16 pumpkin.  As we were carving it I told the parable.  I tried to get the boys to help me get out all of the icky gooey stuff but neither one would…they don’t like to get their hands dirty!  So Mommy did all the work and they just watched.  We really had a good discussion though. 

IMG_6200

IMG_6202 

We went to a Sunday School costume party over the weekend.  Everyone was to bring Halloween theme goodies.  We decided that we would stick with our Matthew 5:16 jack-o-lanterns.  I made homemade jack-0-lantern shaped corn tortilla chips (baked – forgot to get pictures) and a jack-0-lantern decorated brownie (orange frosting with candy corns around edges and choc chips for features).

IMG_6231 

And here is something to add to that…I made their costumes…I thought I would show you the pics (if you will allow me to chase this rabbit for a minute hee hee)

Seth wanted to be Super Man.

IMG_6227

Aaron wanted to be Buddy the T-Rex from Dinosaur Train (his favorite show!!)

IMG_6230

Alyssa was a poodle!

IMG_6238

Here was a family picture taken at the party (yes I know my cat ears turned out to be a little too big! Please don’t laugh)

IMG_1418

 Crafts We Made

We didn’t get our crafts done like we wanted.  Hopefully we will get them done this week ":-).

Our Family Project

We had Granny and PaPa over for dinner one night so that we could tell them about what we were learning and our new take on Halloween.  We made pumpkin bread for dessert!!  It was so very yummy!!!

IMG_6209

IMG_6210

IMG_6211

IMG_6213

Even though we didn’t do as much as we would normally do for a week of Raising Rock Stars it was still a good week and I think there were still some very good lessons learned.   Hopefully after this week my house will be back in some order so we can get back to our full lessons.

Click on the button below for more Raising Rockstars Posts!

1 comment:

  1. What creative ideas and fun activities! Looks like a great week.

    ReplyDelete