Thursday, October 21, 2010

Literary Exercises for Turtle

We only did one book for the turtle lesson!  We had so much fun with this book that we just didn't do the other book.  We may try to catch the other book at a later date.

The Hare and the Tortoise - Aesop's Fable


Seth loved this story!!  He thought it was so funny that the turtle won the race being as slow as he was. 

After reading the story I had the boys watch a couple of short videos of the story on the computer while I got everything together to make our turtle puppets.  (Note: the boys already had rabbit puppets...I made them for them at Easter)

I found a pair of green women's mittens at Target.  I was going to try to find a pair of green trouser socks but when I saw these I thought they were perfect!

I sewed two green fabric circles together and then flipped them and tacked the middle of one side to the middle of the top of the mitten. I had the boys stuff their shells themselves and then I sewed the opening closed. I then cut out pieces of a patterned green fabric and had the boys glue them to the top of the shell using tacky glue.  I then cut out pieces from white and black fleece to glue on for eyes and a piece of pink fleece to glue to the bottom side of the mitten for the inside of the mouth.

 (That is Alyssa grabbing the scissors as I was snapping the picture - YIKES!)


I then had Seth act out the story using his puppets!!  It was quite funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment